Richard is a postdoctoral scientist with a particular interest in drugs that interact with the immune system. During his PhD he studied T-lymphocyte co-stimulation with Professor Stephen Ward, which sparked his interest in immuno-pharmacology. He carried out post-doctoral research on therapeutic ex-vivo manipulation of T lymphocyte function with Professor Carl June at the University of Pennsylvania.
He currently works in the Bath ASU Research and Development laboratory determining the stability of immunotherapeutic proteins. He has over ten years of experience in academic and commercial laboratories, and has authored over twenty original research and review articles.
- Young B, Khan M, Chapman T, Parry R, Connolly M, Watts A. (2015) Evaluation of the physicochemical and functional stability of diluted REMSIMA® upon extended storage—A study compliant with NHS (UK) guidance. Int. J. Pharm., 496 (2): 421-31.
- Dowden J, Pike RA, Parry RV, Hong W, Muhsen UA, Ward SG. (2011) Small molecule inhibitors that discriminate between protein arginine N-methyltransferases PRMT1 and CARM1. Org Biomol Chem. 9(22):7814-21.
- Harris SJ, Parry RV, Foster JG, Blunt MD, Wang A, Marelli-Berg F, Westwick J, Ward SG (2011) Evidence that the lipid phosphatase SHIP-1 regulates T lymphocyte morphology and motility. J Immunol.15;186(8):4936-45.
- Parry RV, Ward SG. (2010) Protein arginine methylation: a new handle on T lymphocytes? Trends Immunol. 31(4):164-9.
- Dowden J, Hong W, Parry RV, Pike RA, Ward SG. (2010) Toward the development of potent and selective bisubstrate inhibitors of protein arginine methyltransferases. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 20(7):2103-5.
- Parry RV, Harris SJ, Ward SG. (2010) Fine tuning T lymphocytes: a role for the lipid phosphatase SHIP-1. Biochim Biophys Acta.1804(3):592-7.
- Varela-Rohena A, Carpenito C, Perez EE, Richardson M, Parry RV, Milone M, Scholler J, Hao X, Mexas A, Carroll RG, June CH, Riley JL. (2008) Genetic engineering of T cells for adoptive immunotherapy. Immunol Res. 42(1-3):166-81
- Harris SJ, Parry RV, Westwick J, Ward SG. (2008) Phosphoinositide lipid phosphatases: natural regulators of phosphoinositide 3-kinase signaling in T lymphocytes. J Biol Chem. 283(5):2465-9.
- Smith LD, Hickman ES, Parry RV, Westwick J, Ward SG. (2007) PI3Kgamma is the dominant isoform involved in migratory responses of human T lymphocytes: effects of ex vivo maintenance and limitations of non-viral delivery of siRNA. Cell Signal.19(12):2528-39.
- Richard V Parry James L Riley and Stephen G Ward. (2007) Signalling to Suit Function: Tailoring Phosphoinositide 3-Kinase During T Lymphocyte Co-stimulation. Trends in Immunology. 28(4):161-8.
- Parry RV, Whittaker GC, Sims M, Edmead CE, Welham MJ, Ward SG. (2006) Ligation of CD28 stimulates the formation of a multimeric signaling complex involving grb-2-associated binder 2 (gab2), SRC homology phosphatase-2, and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase: evidence that negative regulation of CD28 signaling requires the gab2 pleckstrin homology domain. J. Immunol. 176(1):594-602.
- Cronshaw DG, Kouroumalis A, Parry R, Webb A, Brown Z, Ward SG. (2006) Evidence that phospholipase-C-dependent, calcium-independent mechanisms are required for directional migration of T-lymphocytes in response to the CCR4 ligands CCL17 and CCL22. J Leukoc Biol. 79(6):1369-80.
- Parry RV, Chemnitz JM, Frauwirth KA, Lanfranco AR, Braunstein I, Kobayashi SV, Linsley PS, Thompson CB, Riley JL. (2005) CTLA-4 and PD-1 receptors inhibit T-cell activation by distinct mechanisms. Mol Cell Biol. 25(21):9543-53.
- Kovacs B, Parry RV, Ma Z, Fan E, Shivers DK, Freiberg BA, Thomas AK, Rutherford R, Rumbley CA, Riley JL, Finkel TH. (2005) Ligation of CD28 by its natural ligand CD86 in the absence of TCR stimulation induces lipid raft polarization in human CD4 T cells. J Immunol. 175(12):7848-54
- Parry RV, Chemnitz JM, Frauwirth KA, Lanfranco AR, Braunstein I, Kobayashi SV, Linsley PS, Thompson CB, Riley JL. (2005) CTLA-4 and PD-1 receptors inhibit T-cell activation by distinct mechanisms. Mol Cell Biol. 25(21):9543-53
- Chemnitz JM, Parry RV, Nichols KE, June CH, Riley JL. (2004) SHP-1 and SHP-2 associate with immunoreceptor tyrosine-based switch motif of programmed death 1 upon primary human T cell stimulation, but only receptor ligation prevents T cell activation. J Immunol. 173(2):945-54
- Parry RV, June CH. (2003) Calcium-independent calcineurin regulation. Nat Immunol. 4(9):821-3.
- Frauwirth KA, Riley JL, Harris MH, Parry RV, Rathmell JC, Plas DR, Elstrom RL, June CH, Thompson CB. (2002) The CD28 signaling pathway regulates glucose metabolism. Immunity. 16(6):769-77